Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hiatus

No, my dear friends, I haven't abandoned you. Nothing in the news has really tripped my trigger lately. I really don't find it worth the time it takes to follow the debate on Judge Sotomayor, since her approval is a foregone conclusion. Bor - ing! I would like to know what is happening in Iran. It seems like the opposition movement still has life, but with the Mullah's crackdown on media, it is hard to get any worthwhile information. The Michael Jackson fiasco is still going on, but it is not worth watching. Are there really people out there who care about this crap? Obama is still spending the public's money travelling all over to push his health care and cap and tax programs. And I'm still waiting for our elected officials to put some clamps on him. Why do these bills have to be over a thousand pages huge, why are there so many pork projects in them, and why do they need to be pushed through in such a hurry? Believe me, there is nothing good in any of this, and we, the people, are on the short end of the stick. It was not uncommon to see "WARBI" written in various places when I was in the service. That stands for "We are run by idiots". Kind of describes our situation right now.

I am mourning the loss of Walter Cronkite. He came from an era when we could respect a newsman.

Liz Cheney made my day when she said she is interested in a national elected office. I like her stand on the issues and the way she will not be intimidated.

Remember me telling you about investing the stimulus money we got in GM? It looks pretty shaky right now, and I'm down about 60%. I'm not really complaining - I knew what I was getting into. Like I said, this is money I could afford to lose. But, I did learn something along the way. For one thing, there is no more GM. My shares are now listed as Motors Liquidation Corporation. The GM that Obama talks about is a brand new company that is planning an IPO in the short future. So, rather than a reorganization under a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, what we have is a "sale" to an entirely new entity. I and the other shareholders could end up with as much as a 10% share of the new company. I guess I would settle for that. When I hear that GM has "emerged" from bankruptcy, it sounds like double-talk to me.

As regards the absence of recent posts, I simply was having trouble finding the time. I have to spend a couple of hours following the news, and it is always pretty late when I sit down to write. And, if I don't get enough sleep, I notice it the next day. An extra hour of sleep is pretty cheap medicine to keep my heart on a steady beat - something I have to watch out for. See you soon.

1 comment: