Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mother Teresa on Abortion

I still have to do some studying for tomorrow's Bible study class, but I didn't want to leave you with nothing to read from me. When I changed clothes after work today, I noticed a folded-up napkin with writing on it on a shelf in my closet. It is not uncommon for me to scrabble around for writing materials if I find something that is worth keeping. Evidently President Carter had written to Mother Teresa, and the following is her reply.
Calcutta, 11-17-79
Dear Mr. J. Carter,
God love you for the very beautiful message of love that you have sent.
Right from the beginning of the work --your people through Catholic Relief Services - have shared the joy of feeding the Hungry Christ, clothing the Naked Christ and giving a home to the Homeless Christ. In all these years, nearly 30 years, your people have always been there. Thank God.
You will be glad to know our sisters are with the "shut-ins" at 335 East 145 St., Bronx, and in Detroit and St. Louis.
Your people suffer much from very deep poverty. The poverty of loneliness and fear of the shut-ins -- and the murder of the unborn child through fear of having to feed one more child --educate one more child -- the child must die. I was so very surprised. The other day, when in my prayer, I realized that it was the unborn St. John that lept with joy in his mother's womb when Mary, the mother of Jesus, brought Him in her womb to his home. I ask you for a gift. Abolish this law of abortion in your country and you will have peace. How will you meet God --What will you answer Him for all the murders of innocent unborn children done in your country --God has entrusted to you -- Open your heart to the cry of the children.
I am praying for you that you may hear their cry and do something -- that God may give you the light to see, the love to accept it, and the courage to do it.
My prayer is with you.
God bless you,
M. Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment